Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Brock Devin Esplin - It just felt GOOD


Some things just feel good.

Like connecting with a fastball and sending it over the fence.

Like a haircut long overdue.

Like when the the ball is released from the tips of your fingers to hit a game winning shot.

Like the view from atop a mountain peak.

Like spending time with your dad.

Like a popsicle on a hot summer's day.

Some things just feel good, there is no otherway to explain it, it just feels good.

Brock

And so it is for our son Brock. When it came down to deciding a name for him, it just felt good. Having spent months discussing names, inventing names, tossing out names, etc. (you get the point), nothing seemed to stick. We had heard of the name Brock and we weren't opposed to it, so it joined the list of other possibilities (Mason, Packer, Porter).

When Melissa went into labor we still hadn't decided and the delivery was so quick that when he was safely in ourarms, we still didn't have a name for him. Finally after we had settled down and he was in the arms of mom, we brought up the name game once more. As we contemplated and prayed about the name Brock we were satisfied that that was to be his name, reason being, "It just felt good." Such a feeling was good enough for us.

So what about the rest of the name?

Devin
Mom had suggested that Brock take the name of his dad. Had mom known the history behind dad's name, she might have thought twice.

As legend has it, I was named by my four older brothers who loved BYU basketball. When I was born my parents hadn't decided on a name. My brothers being bred Cougar blue and admiring then star Devin Durrant, suggested that they name their baby brother Devin after this Cougar great (third all time in scoring and also spent some time in the NBA).
Unfortunately the basketball skills didn't come with the name (unless you count some great pick up games or church ball). Being the youngest of 5 boys I have been fortunate to follow in the footsteps of many whom I would consider to be heros. It is hoped that the name Devin stands for kindness and service and other noble Christlike attributes. Though void of superior athleticism, it is my hope that I have created a name that is honorable and worth emulation. Though far from perfect it is a joy to have my son carry on a name that means so much to me.

Esplin

His last name also is something to take pride in. Esplin is a name that many speak highly of. It was the name that grandparents carried before me. To me it stands for a person who has integrity and is honest. It stands for hard work and commitment. Those who possess this name are faithful and love to serve. I know my dad to carry this name with great pride. He gave it to me and now has fallen on Brock. May those who look to this name and possess this name remember the sacrifice and efforts put into what this name represents.

And so Brock's life begins. Having been given a name full of meaning and faith, Brock too will create a name of his own and live a life that will "just feel good". Some things just feel good and that is good enough for us.

1 comment:

Nat said...

I love the name Devin so much that if it was okay use the name more than once; my #4 and #5 would be named Devin, too!

I love Brock's name. Good job!