Friday, May 27, 2011

Now I Get It - "I Get it, I Get it"

You know how you hear the phrase, "You just don't understand" and when you hear that your response is, "yeah I do" as if that phrase will pacify them. Sometimes it does, but it is sure to come back to haunt you, because really, "you don't understand".


Having my wife gone for a week and being solo with the kids I believe qualifies me, in a very small way, for saying "yeah I do". Spending this week alone with the boys is like crying "uncle" and pleading out, "I get it, I get it." Not that the boys were bad or that I was a bad dad it is just something about being in mom's shoes that helps you see why the following things occur that I now understand:



Now I get why . . . The minute I walk in the house, Melissa is out the door. Just for a breath of fresh air makes sense. Its as if you are smothered 24-7



Now I get why . . . Subway sounds like such an attractive offer instead of slaving over a stove. After a full day with them you want the menu placed in front of you instead of creating the menu.



Now I get why . . . bedtime is 8 PM, and I'm not just talking the boys' bed time.



Now I get why . . . adult conversation is to be craved for.



Now I get why . . . weather is not just a conversation starter but an excuse to let the kids out of the cage.



Now I get why . . . waking up at 3 in the morning is the only way to get things done that you want to get done.



Now I get why . . . you can't love these boys enough. Despite the long days, now it makes sense why being around them is so rewarding. The investment is great.



Though in some degree I think "I get it", most of me says, "I get it, thank you, because no matter how much I think I get it, I never will, because not only do you (mom) get it, but you are good at it. I just survived it, which in reality isn't getting it.

No comments: