Sunday, February 24, 2008

On the Sports Scene


Just a thought. As the high school basketball season comes to a close and we enter into March madness I got to thinking about Basketball and its affect on the community. Where we live here in Castle Dale, Girls Basketball is queen. In the past three years they have won 3 region championships, 1 State Championship, and a 2nd place at the State Championships. This year they fell short as they were upset in the quarterfinals. The community goes to great lengths to support their team, from hanging signs on all of the local businesses, to signs on the houses of the players on the team to signs periodically along the highway going up to Salt Lake. The school also has been affected by this princess of a team. Thursday and Friday turned into a no school day where there was more students than there were teachers. The teachers were encouraged to go to the state tournament. As a result the school turned into a ghost town. Personally I have bought into this basketball love affair with the community. I fly a Spartan flag periodically, and I wear black and gold on game days, but I am left to wonder if this is a fleeting trend or is it still deeply entrenched in other communities? Go Spartans!

2 comments:

Ryan Esplin said...

Do you also wear the short skirt like the Spartan warrior on your blog? Does the church approve of this? Surely the church would not approve of you wearing such an immodest article of clothing in class. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.

ccrippen said...

Hi Melissa -

I was at the tourney and it was great. We managed to make it to the championship game but couldn't seem to get Wasatch - UGH!! Were you there? I hung out with Coach Bean and he told me that you are pregnant - YEAH!! Congrats!! How exciting for you and Devin! I stumbled upon your blog through Brooke's through Roz Daivs', a friend of Shemries. Anyway I hope you are well. I would love to hear from you. We finally have a blog - you can find us at http://crippennews.blogspot.com or email me at jcbcrippen1@juno.com

Take care - Charlotte Crippen