Sunday, July 20, 2008

Melissa Esplin: A Tribute



As I visit different cities, university campus', cemeteries, historical sites, etc, I find myself drawn to the statues and the stories of the people that go with them. I gain a greater appreciation for what they have accomplished and in many cases how their contributions have affected my own. For example, I love the statue of Nellie Unthank on the campus of SUU. It is a fitting tribute to a remarkable woman who has contributed so much to the establishment of Cedar City and the building up the Church in the west. In that spirit and in the spirit of the upcoming 24th of July celebrations I would just like to pay a tribute to my sweet wife, who may never have a statue to recognize her but in every respect deserves to be elevated to the incredible woman that she is not only in my life but in the lives of so many who she has impacted. May it be said that, much like those who have quietly gone before, Melissa would never want recognition to elevate her or to promote her in any way, but her actions nonetheless are deserving of praise:


I praise Melissa for her love for the Prophets and Apostles. Recently, she met Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quourum of the 12. What impressed me about this encounter was that she recognized him and acknowledged him as a man called of God. This recognition didn't come without paying a price to read and cherish the words of living prophets and to live by them. What great joy it brings me to know that our chilldren will have a mother in the home who will point them to the prophets.


I praise Melissa for unselfish service. Being the caring husband I have come to be overly cautious of what Melissa does as the pregnancy progresses. I have cautioned her about overdoing things. This apparently was ignored when faced with an opportunity to serve. She spent a weekend serving at the Humanitarian center and Welfare square. This didn't come without a price of swollen ankles and exhaustion but I was impressed at how she was engaged with service and fullfilling her responsibility as a leader in serving with them.


Finally, I praise Melissa for all that she has been for the past 4 years. We recently celebrated an anniversary in Salt Lake City. In these past 4 years she has been a source of strength when I have been weak. There isn't a day that goes by that she doesn't put on that smile that won me over from day one. Truly in every aspect she has made me a better person. Selfishly I've told her on several occasions that the reason I married her was that I knew that she would make me a better person. I only hope that I can measure up to what she has and is becoming.


True, the blogging community may a pathetic way to pay a tribute to such a person, but hopefully my lifes actions will be a proper tribute to this incredible woman in my life.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Devin you are so right you describe Melissa perfectly she is such a wonderful person and cares so much about everyone. I love and miss her so much! Can't wait to meet your little boy!
Love, Tara

Jinger said...

Devin, you are the sweetest guy ever! I would melt like a hershey's bar on a hot summer's day if Carson did that! (Go ahead and drop him a hint... j/k :) Wow! Melissa is so lucky, and you are so right about her. Melissa is pretty incredible, and so are you! I sure love you guys! Let Melissa know she looks so good in her pictures! She's the cutest pregnant girl ever!

Cammie said...

All true! And very sweet!

The Christians said...

Yes Melissa, you are wonderful and your husband is wonderful for letting you know. I love you infinity +1. Brooke