Friday, June 4, 2010

Legend

"Legend" may be one of the best words to describe the best coach in basketball, John Wooden. The same word can be used to describe the late Emery track coach Darrell Gardner. Though worlds apart these giants in the coaching arena both passed away this week. Outside of Sports Illustrated and stories related to me, I never knew John Wooden. I knew Darrell Gardner and yet Sports Illustrated would never know him. Events that have transpired as of late reveal a man that not even Sports Illustrated could do justice for. Coach Gardner passed away on Memorial day after a farming accident. The following days brought tributes, memorials, reminiscence, and self examination. His legendary life deserved such displays of love and respect. Darrell did it all and it did it all with his all. Most paramount to me was his love for youth and a desire to elevate others. His presence demanded such a feeling. We were fortunate to stand in line for over 2 hours to pay tribute to this giant of men and his family. Scattered in waiting line were people who he had greatly influenced or impacted. Scattered too were tears, laughter, and a carrot for those who wanted to eat one in his memory. Melissa attended the funeral seemingly attended by the whole community (approximately 1,200 people - not counting those who couldn't attend). The viewing and funeral of Darrell Gardner were only the beginning of tributes to him. As you pass the high school the "spirit rock" has been painted in his honor. A "last run" is planned for this week in his honor.

Though these events and tributes will slowly fade, and life moves forward, his influence will ever remain. Legends don't come along every day, but this one came and he came running. He is still running.

Melissa has great love and admiration for Coach Gardner and his influence on her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a comment. Hope it makes your day. I really don't have anything important to say. That makes me wonder if Gardner's or Loveless's funeral was bigger. All that I know for sure is that Joesph Parr was at Loveless's funeral, and Joesph is famous. It sounds like Gardner could be famous too...only in EC. That's not meant to be insulting. It's meant to be complimenting.

Unknown said...

It was soo worth waiting in line for two hours at the viewing. The funeral was amazing also. It's still so crazy that he's really gone. Reality hits me more and more every day. The rock was a great idea and I'm glad that I got to sign it. I'm glad that I got to know him and have him in my life. I will miss him.