Thursday, June 17, 2010

The not so big, big 30 - Happy Birthday Melissa


In an attempt to subdue the fear of turning 30 I took Melissa up to Provo where we attended the temple and went to lunch. This avoidance technique only could go so far the minute that Melissa woke up and looked at the house and car windows that were so lovingly decorated with phrases such as "Old Lady on Board" "Happy Birthday I'm 40" and other phrases more intimate for a thirty year old.

Unfairly I often remind Melissa of how much older she is than me. It is only fair that I remind her of how those years have been pivotal in my life. Of those 30 years I have known her for over six years. In those six years she has taught me much that has enriched my life. Here are a few lessons she has taught me that hopefully will permit an extension on birthday celebrations in her presence. In fact, things that happened on her birthday reveal how fortunate I am:

1. From 8 AM on (she was entitled to some sleeping in), the phone was constantly ringing with wishes of Happy Birthday from all walks of life. Not only family but friends from Cedar to St. George and in between were off all reaching out, evidence to me of how she has touched so many.

2. While in the temple we saw my grandparents. We found out that my grandpa had lost his brother a few days ago in a freak accident. With all of the tenderness I have seen time and time again I witnessed Melissa show genuine love and concern for my grandpa.

3. Not wanting to let anybody down we stopped at the softball field on the way home from the temple (she was missing a softball game). Her brief stop earned her some brownies and a gift from her softball teammates (more evidence of how people love and care for her).

4. It was also rewarding to see how much she loves the temple. Feeling like I had hit a home run by taking her there, I was reminded that it was merely a single when I realized that the joy on her face in the temple taught me much about her love for sacred things.

5. Finally, the fact that she was still smiling after a full day of travel, was a nice reminder of why I loved her in the first place, her smile.

6. Ok so there is atleast one more. I made a futile attempt at making one of her favorite breakfasts. As a reminder of her patience and service she took over when it came to doing eggs. (Hey give me some credit, we're not talking scrambled eggs here)

And so, even though we look at 30 as a number to be fearful of, it is what "her life" in those 30 years has done not only for me but for those who she has influenced, that reflects not a number but a person that has touched lives from the day she was born, not all that long ago.


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Wow Melissa! You have a very sweet husband! And... welcome to the 30's. :)