Sunday, November 1, 2009

EVERYBODY NEEDS A GRANDPA


When we first moved to Castle Dale I was told that everyone needs a grandpa and that I was to find a grandpa.  It didn't take long for that to happen as Grandpa Gus quickly took that role.  I didn't know him for all that long and I don't know how well that he knew me.  But this didn't seem to matter much for he taught me things that only grandpa's can teach.  

He taught me what it meant to truly fall and stay in love and that it all began with a dime.

He taught me to be true to who you are and show it off.  He did this frequently as he would sing Italian songs and speak Italian at the dinner table.  I'll never forget him holding Parker soon after he was born and singing to him an Italian lullaby.

He taught me the importance of family.  Melissa proudly continues that today.

He taught me how to treat people and respect for others.

He taught me how to enjoy life.

I'll have many memories that will stay with me forever.  One of my favorite was last Christmas when Melissa made her first Christmas dinner and we had Grandpa Gus over.  It was a feast worthy of an Italian except that there was no Italian food.  The food was splendid but even better than that Parker was able to spend a Christmas with his namesake.  It is for this reason that I know that Grandpa Gus' memory and life will continue as Parker bears that name of his great grandpa who was just that to me.

You can imagine then how grateful I was when I was asked to say a prayer at the funeral.  What a privilege.  I think Bishop Isaacson said it best of Grandpa Gus when he said in closing at the funeral, "He left a legacy".  

My last memory of Grandpa Gus was seeing him in the hospital and telling him that "we still owed him a Subway" something that he loved to do.  One of the last experiences we had with him as a family was just that, a trip to Subway!  I can't wait for the happy reunion when I can pay him back for that Subway and for everything else!


No comments: