Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Devin that can actually speak Chinese



The story goes that I was named after the cougar great (Basketball player) Devin Durrant because my brothers looked up to him at the time I was born.  I never did become a great basketball player unless you count Church Ball but I can now officially claim that there is a Devin that can speak Chinese!

I served my mission in Taiwan - Mandarin Chinese speaking.  After serving two years there I spoke Chinese but I don't know if that was me doing the speaking or the Taiwanese people were just really nice.  Whatever the case may be, while I was there serving me and my companion were able to baptized two brothers that lived in a city called Ching Shui.  The older brother Jason Yen  (Yen Wei Jun) has since served a mission, married in the temple and had their first baby born to them.  You can imagine my surprise when I found out that they named him Devin (they often have an english name with their chinese name).  

And so after serving two years and trying to speak chinese it took having somebody I baptized and his spouse to finally have a Devin that really can speak chinese (and yes I am sure his chinese is better than mine even as a baby).

Most importantly I am excited for the new dad and the new mom.  They will be great parents.

Jason Yen is the second one from the left

No comments: