Saturday, April 24, 2010

Make a Wish

Have you ever walked by a water fountain or a wishing well, dug in your pockets for spare change, and flipped it into the splashing water, hoping that that dive into unknown water will bring about the wish of your heart? If you have, which from the looks of watering holes in the center of malls and the fountains springing from mother earth, then I believe you have been a part of something that I hope never fades. It amazes me that such a simple act reflects our longing for hope and never letting go. It surprises me that somehow Abraham Lincoln or George Washington imprinted on metal has such capacity to bring such a wish about. Though many a wishes may seem drowned in just that, a wish, I like to think that such an act springs hope and optimism in the one who casually or intentionally flings such hopes high in the sky.

And so it is for me. Whenever such an opportunity presents itself (temple wishes seem to be of greatest preference), I connect my wish with my toss and make my donation to the swallowing fountain. After completing the MS walk this weekend we found ourself sitting around some rocks with shining metal reflecting many wishers wishes in the pond. After having pawned a penny off of Aunt Brittany I told Parker to make a wish and toss it into the pond. After having tossed (more of a drop, distance doesn't matter) his penny into the water I thought to ask him what he wished for, but we all know that the wish doesn't come true if you do that.

No comments: